The days of shiny, synthetic-looking wigs are well and truly over. Instead, we are blessed with a host of options that look and feel incredible and take the anxiety out of wearing a wig for the first time.
For those who are overcoming an illness that has robbed them of their beautiful tresses or are suffering from a genetic predisposition to thinning hair, the decision to wear a wig may be a difficult one to make.
If you have chosen to explore the use of a wig then we salute you; our hair forms a critical part of our self-image and it’s not vanity or conceit to want a full head of beautiful hair. We’d like to look a little closer at the practical elements of choosing and wearing a wig for the first time.
Wig Wisdom for Beginners
Choosing the right wig is an intensely personal decision. You know what you like and what you feel comfortable with, and that should certainly guide you in the beginning. Once you’ve gotten the hang of it we’re certain that you’ll want to experiment with colours, lengths and styles and maybe even start having a little fun.
In the first instance, most professionals will recommend a wig that is similar to the style, texture and colour you’re accustomed to. No doubt you’ll feel a lot more comfortable going out looking much the same as you always have, and not inviting comments on something that you may still be feeling a little awkward about.
In our Guide to Buying your First Wig, you may recall that we unpacked the differences between synthetic and natural hair fibres, along with the cap construction variations. While preferences vary, we’ve found that the most popular choice is the most natural-looking one, that being human hair on a lightweight lace cap.
Now you’re ready to wear your wig for the first time.
How to Wear Your Wig
Proper preparation is key to a lasting and natural look. Take care to check your wig before positioning it, making sure that it’s clean and in good condition.
- Short hair should be brushed away from your face and secured with pins or hairspray if necessary. Longer hair can be braided or combed back into a knot at the nape of your neck.
- If you’ve chosen a lace-front wig that requires an adhesive, then be sure that the front hairline is carefully flattened and secured for the best result. This is especially important if you wear your hair away from your forehead.
- Hold your wig in front of you, tilt your head forward and carefully position it on the front hairline.
- Gently pull it over your head until it sits comfortably and adjust it to match the position of your natural hairline.
- Secure it with clips or wig tape if necessary.
Hair and Scalp Care
Caring for your wig is essential, but it’s equally important to maintain a good natural hair and scalp care routine.
- Spend some time at the end of each day gently massaging your scalp. A well-fitting wig needs to be fairly tight so encouraging blood flow to the scalp is a good idea.
- If possible, don’t sleep with your wig on. Give your head and scalp a chance to breathe in their natural state.
- Keep your hair and scalp clean and moisturised with good quality products and a regular routine.
- Never use your wig while your hair is damp. Not only can this be super uncomfortable, but it also creates the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive.
Cutting and Styling Your Wig
Once you have determined the type of wig that you’re most comfortable with, you may want to have it styled to suit your personality. We appreciate that not everyone may be excited about wearing a wig, and all they want is to look and feel as ‘normal’ as possible. And that’s okay. A quality wig that fits comfortably can only benefit from a little professional care to look as good as possible on you.
Don’t forget, though, that you don’t need to stick to one style or colour. The beauty of wigs, and one of the reasons that they’ve become so popular in today’s age of chameleonic fashion, is that they can transform you in an instant.
Aside from providing a comfortable solution for women who have less-than-perfect hair, today’s wigs are an exciting way to level up your look. Some of our clients, once they’ve gotten over the initial hesitation of wearing a wig, enjoy the versatility that comes with it.
The fact that so many women who really don’t need to wear wigs choose them to glow up for a special occasion is a testament to their growing popularity. Haven’t you ever wondered how you would look as a redhead? Or with a mane of curls? Wigs offer the answer to these questions without the commitment.
Working with Wigs
Our team here at Hair to Ware are acutely aware of how difficult it can be for women, especially, who are suffering from hair loss. We have made it our mission to craft the best quality and most natural-looking wigs for our clients.
We also take the time to gently educate our clients on what product would best suit their face shape, age, or colouring, the accessories that are involved, and the proper care of their wig.
We want you to leave us feeling effortlessly confident and completely in love with your new look. So, if you’re new to the world of wigs and you have questions, please feel free to contact us and allow us to guide you through the process.